2014년 3월 19일 수요일

ESL no versus not

no versus not 

This is very confusing! 
So I practiced some sentences in order to familiar that expression.




 Let’s practice some sentences.

  • no noun(plural, uncountable)/ gerund 
  • not a / any noun

There are no/not eggs.

There are no eggs.
There aren't any eggs.

I have no/not any time.
I haven't any time.
I have no time.

 I have no/not money.
I have no money.
I haven’t any money.  
I do not have any money.

I am no/not stranger to beer.
I am no stranger to beer.
I am not a stranger to beer.
 *That means 'I like beer.'

I have no/not a dollar.
I haven’t a dollar.
I do not have a dollar.
I have no dollars.

I have no/not a clue.

I haven’t a clue.
I don’t have a clue.
I have no clue.        
 *That means 'I don’t know.'

No/Not one person visited me.
Not one person visited me.
No people visited me.
No one visited me.

No/ Not a single person smiled.
Not a single person smiled.
Not even one person smiled.
No one smiled.

No/not smoking!
No Smoking!   
Smoking is noun.
Smoking is not allowed!

※exception  "It is no/not Fun."
It' is no Fun.
It is not Fun.
Both O.K.



It’s very confusing. So you need to make your own example!










댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기